Discover Exciting Career Paths Across the FBI
Legal professionals in the FBI are granted once-in-a-lifetime career opportunities that those in similar civilian careers will never have the chance to experience. Candidates will work with FBI employees at all levels, advising on a broad spectrum of legal and legislative challenges affecting international and domestic law enforcement and intelligence operations, investigations and policies. Additionally, legal professionals have the opportunity to use their skill sets to become Special Agents and Intelligence Analysts.
Qualifications & Skills
How to Qualify for a Legal Career at the FBI
Applicants for legal professions within the FBI must have extensive experience in the legal field for which they are applying. Legal professionals within the FBI should also be detail oriented and think strategically, as well as able to analyze a variety of information from different sources. Candidates must also possess the following:
- Received a J.D. from an accredited law school.
- Have an active membership in good standing in the bar of any U.S. jurisdiction or the District of Columbia.
- Meet the FBI’s Employment Eligibility standards.
One year of post-J.D. legal experience or relevant comparable experience is required of lateral hires from other government agencies.
FBI Legal Careers
Legal Career Opportunities
Legal professionals in the FBI have the opportunity to:
- Work with international, federal, state and local partners in law enforcement and the Intelligence Community.
- Advise on proposed operations and investigations, working closely with Special Agents, Intelligence Analysts and other professional staff.
- Assess the legal implications of tools, technologies and techniques used by the FBI.
- Gain exposure to all facets of FBI operations both at Headquarters and at field offices.
Several opportunities exist within the legal field at the FBI. Please check our job listings to find out more about open positions, keeping in mind that not all of these positions may be available at this time.
- General Attorney
- Legal Administrative Specialist
- Legal Instruments Examiner